Sunday, October 7, 2012

Clearing up a few questions.....

So I was on facebook and there seemed to be some confusion....

    I am in Toamasina/Tamatave, Madagascar. I did not come in a group. I flew all the way 
over here by myself. I did not just wake up one morning and decide, “I am going to go to 
Africa.” As I entered my senior year of high school (which was just a year ago and seems 
rather scary because it seems like a million years ago), I was talking to my friends and 
parents about college and didn't feel I was supposed to go right away - kind of scared my 
parents, my mom mainly. My dad and I talked about maybe doing this thing called GAP in  
the Dominican Republic, and then talked about just going to Europe and "backpacking" 
around it (still want to do that by the way). Then my mom was like, “What about going 
and staying with my sister in Madagascar?”
      
    For those of y’all who didn't know, my aunt and uncle are missionaries to Madagascar 
and have been for 13 years. But I hadn't seen any of them since 2008 when they adopted 
my now 13 year old cousin. Since then, they have gotten 2 more little boys, whom I love 
dearly. Their names are Kitika and Rafily (though Rafily will tell you his name is Alfred, 
which cracks me up, but my aunt HATES that name). They are biological brothers and 
very cute. We think they are 9 and 7 but are not 100% sure. To be honest, I wasn't sure 
how this trip was going to go since I do not speak French or Malagasy. But that hasn't 
really affected too much. The staff here is just amazing and does their best to speak 
English, and I do my best to learn ‘Gasy/French. The staff says, “Good morning,” every 
morning, Monday through Friday, which is fun, but I love lunch time because we all sit 
around and eat, but I also listen to them talk and when everyone is laughing it’s just fun. I 
love taking photos and they always let me know when there is a good photo opportunity, 
like once they called me out to show me a chameleon because they know I love them. 
Overall, this will definitely be something I tell my children about one day, if I have any. I 
know this trip has already changed me for the better and will continue to do so. :)
     I can see myself living in a different country one day. I have always seen myself 
somewhere other than the US. I want to do special ed missions. Weird, I know. I have 
never heard of someone doing special ed missions but since I was 3 years old, I have had a  
passion for it. My goal in life is to show kids that just because they are different doesn't 
mean they are any less loved by my amazing God. Whether it’s something small, like 
being dyslexic like me, or something huge, like, oh, I don't know, being autistic. Anyone 
and everyone can change the world. It just takes someone to show that they are worth it. 
As it says in my profile on here, my goal in life was to rule the world. Well, now I have 
settled with just changing it. I am just 18, but I can do anything. I am not rich by any 
means, but I have been told I would make a great CEO. I have started 2 businesses that 
have done pretty well. My sister and I started a babysitting business that really took off, 
especially after my brother was born. I also started a photography business using the 
camera my mom got me. It’s not a huge camera, but I have always loved taking photos and  
people seem to like my photos, so why not? Well, I started it 2 months before I left. I did 5 
photo shoots in that time. Not bad if I do say so myself.
     
      Speaking of little brothers, I have three of them and a sister: Sarah, 16, Jay, 13, Peter, 
10, and Nathan, age 3. If you go through my blog, I have a lot of photos of Nathan. I love 
him, and 4 years ago I didn't realize that my life was missing something, but it was. Two 
months before I turned 15, he was born. It was the best day of my life. I can't imagine how  
boring my life would be without him. When I am sad at home, he comes into my room and  
makes me smile, even when I don't want to. Nathan changed all of our lives. Because of 
him, my sister and I started our babysitting business because we were able to meet so many  
moms. But Nathan is extra special because he has something called Hemihypertrophy. I 
know you are reading this and wondering what that is. Well, that is exactly what I asked 
my mom.
     
     At first he seems normal, but when he talks, you know something is off because he is 3 
and is just now really talking. Also, half of his body is bigger than the other - his feet, legs, 
arms, face, and even his ears. But it never stops him. He still gets into just as much trouble 
as any other three year old. He loves exploring, dancing, singing, TV, Chick-fil-a, frozen 
yogurt, and most of all, people. Watching Dora with him might be the funniest thing ever. I  
miss him very much but I know I will see him in 2 months. Hemihypertrophy is something  
that only 1 in 800,000 to 900,000 kids have, and my little brother has it. I was considering 
maybe majoring in something other than special ed, but he reminded me that special ed is 
exactly where I belong. I hope to one day be a special ed psychologist and help families in 
the US and abroad deal with kids who broke the mold. I will be able to share my personal 
story and I think that will help, because it can be hard to explain to young kids that 
something is special about their siblings. I want to be that person. I want to show people 
how amazing these kids really are. In a lot of places, if a kid has special needs, he or she is 
basically thrown to the wayside, but I believe they were meant for so much more.

Well now you know more about me and my family.


http://wife-mom2ddand3ds.blogspot.com/ - Nathans story through my moms eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/helpmg?fref=ts
http://www.helpmg.org/                       > My Aunt and Uncles HELP Madagascar websites.


Nathan and I
Rafily and I
Kitika and I
Angelo and I
All three boys and I
Nathan and I
Nathan and I
Nathan and I
Nathan and I
The Radford Boys.
My favorite family photo we have ever taken...
The awesome car ride
Peter and I a few years ago under water.
My cousins and I on my birthday...the most natural photo ever.
A pretty good photo of all of my cousins and siblings and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment